My name is Jan. This is my website. I'm a software engineer at Apple.
So, these websites always tell something about their owner. Let me skip the boring
webdesigns, failed PHP scripts and misused MySQL tables from Middle- and High School, but here we go:
2006, having just gotten to the Hasso Plattner Institute, I was
- Researching memory access patterns in main-memory data stores. Back then 256GB main memory was absolutely insane, but we had one of those machines in the basement. It was the beginning of SAP's HANA project.
- While taking classes I was busy creating a very large social network from scratch that we wanted to base on classic online forums using Django. It never launched (Damn you, Zuckerberg).
2009, with a fresh college degree I figured Germany isn't everything, and
- I went to SAP Labs in California and engineered database plan operations so that huge companies can run their analytics on 100GB of data in 0.7 seconds instead of 20 minutes.
- After doing this for half a year I travelled on and lived in various places in Africa, South-East Asia, and a few U.S. states for two years.
- During that time I switched my focus to building a real-time advertising platform that serves millions of ads per day and buys/sells an ad impression in under 5ms. While processing 5000 HTTP requests per second on a single EC2 medium.
- Engineering only gets interesting when you have to nourish L2 caches and your latency requirements forbid calls to malloc().
2012, now, there's not much more I can tell you about my work. Only that I'm part of the iOS team at Apple in Cupertino. Exciting.
There's also a twitter profile Also check out Erin Martin's website.